Best Selling Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
Tired of using the push mower to keep your garden beautiful? Maybe it’s time to get yourself a self-propelled mower that will keep your garden intact without hurting your back, we promise it’s the best switch you will ever make! As the name suggests, a self-propelled lawn mower has the power to move on its own, meaning it requires null to low manual power.
These mowers come in different sizes and shapes and various price ranges, of course. While these self-propelled lawn mowers are much more expensive than the normal push mowers, if taken care of, they are said to last for 8-10 years which is twice as much of the push mower plus the usage is effortlessly easy to help maintain a beautiful garden without literally breaking your back!
In self-propelled lawn mowers, after starting the mower you only have to set the cutting height, adjust the moving speed and you’re good to go! Just steer the mower in the right direction and easily maintain your lawn. It is possible for a lawnmower to damage the underlying soil, the grassroots, and the mower itself if the blades cut through the grass and collide with the underlying ground. Therefore it is important to adjust mower height properly and choose the right tires for lawn mower to prevent any marking or digging.
10 Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower for the Money Review
Considering the various options of self-propelled lawn mowers available in the market today, it can be difficult to choose the best self-propelled lawn mower for your garden. There are several types of mowers, each suited to a particular scale and purpose. The smallest types, non-powered push mowers, are suitable for small residential lawns and gardens.
Electrical or piston engine-powered push-mowers are used for larger residential lawns. Hence, we have compared the best available in the market and put together their pros and cons and other key factors along with the links for buying the same to make your shopping experience easier and quicker!
Here are some best self-propelled lawn mowers in the market today :
1. CUB CADET 21 in. 159cc Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- 159cc cub cadet OHV engine, with electric push-button start
- 3-in-1 bag, mulch and side discharge standard, with mulch plug integrated
These Cub Cadet lawn mowers are high quality, durable residential mowers that are easily available in the market. These mowers are strong and will not break easily. Cub Cadet is mostly known for its lawn tractor line up but their production of self-propelled lawn mowers has proved to be excellent in all aspects and comes with incredible cutting performance.
- 156cc cub cadet OHV engine: It cuts residential lawns in almost any condition.
- Mulching and side-discharge mode: It breezes through weekly cuts and performs incredibly.
- Cub Cadet Signature Cut blades: These blades feature three cutting surfaces to produce fine clippings
- Six-position deck height adjustment: It allows you to set the deck height between 1.25 inches and 3.75 inches for precise cuts
- Two-position handle adjustment: It allows you to set a comfortable height for controlling the mower
- Front-wheel drive: It easily tip the mower to its rear wheels to change direction
- Better fuel consumption: The weight of the engine allows better traction at the front wheels, ensuring better fuel consumption on a front-wheel drive.
This machine comes with its own plus and minus points. The overall performance and cost is reasonable. It is reliable and comes from a reputed company. Even though premium models are available, this one perfectly does the job of helping you keep your lawn well maintained!
2. Ryobi. 20″ RY40190 40-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Lawn Mower
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning,...
Maneuvering is no task with this one as this self-propelled lawn mower is one of the lightest in the list! It is economical and is battery operated so there is no need to deal with oil/gas-powered mowers to find the one with better fuel consumption. This is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a basic but effective model.
- 5.0 Ah 40-volt lithium-ion high-capacity battery: Intelligent brushless motor ensures efficiency and strength.
- Load sensing system: Ensures breezing through almost all field conditions while saving energy and time.
- Two-in-one mower: Only mulch and bag, but not side discharge with this unit.
- Tri-cut blades: Ensures superior cutting performance to achieve finer clipping, which makes it perfect for mulching or bagging.
- 20-inch large cutting deck: This ensures that the mowing is done easier and quicker.
- Single-point adjustment lever: Easily choose from seven cutting heights that suit your comfort
- Two-point handle adjustment: Allows you to set the best height to walk behind your mower comfortably.
- Easy maintenance: This model, unlike others, comes with less complicated parts making maintenance really easy.
This one comes with a few disadvantages and is not the best model available, especially comparing it with others in the competition. Still, it has some features like the electric battery operated drive, etc. This machine will not perform so well in tougher conditions and the battery life is not the best.
3. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc Lawn Mower
- Powered by a 163cc Briggs & Stratton Engine
- Equipped with a 21-Inch TriAction cutting system with integrated premium deck wash
This machine will help you achieve great results and a beautiful lawn as it comes with a 163cc Briggs and Stratton engine that ensures incredible performance. Turn waste into mulch easily with this US-made lawnmower. The bag capacity is 1.9-bushel and has triple action blades that ensure superior cutting performance and ultra-fine clippings. With this machine, you also get an option to mow with or without a bag.
- 163cc OHV engine: a strong engine that powers the rear-wheel-drive making it light to use.
- Single drive lever: control speed easily and choose from 4 different speed settings as per your convenience.
- Ergonomic handle: ensures comfort and flexibility while using the lawnmower.
- Ready-smart system: no priming or choking required, the engine starts on the first pull every time you pull the power chord.
- No oil change: no oil draining required, just add the oil when it’s low and continue using the mower.
- Adjustable height: choose from six cutting heights available to adjust the deck from a single lever.
This mower ensures user-friendly operation. The machine itself is heavy but you do not feel the weight while mowing. It’s a great choice if you’re looking for a good and easy to use lawnmower.
4. Honda HRX217K4HZA HRX Series Lawn Mowers
No products found.
This self-propelled lawn mower is one of the excellent and most powerful lawn mowers. Coming from a premium line of the Honda HRX series, the HRX217K4HZA is also the most expensive one. The electric start of this machine fires it up effortlessly and the big engine allows you to maintain your lawn easily and efficiently!
- GCV 190-Engine: Ensures the hassle-free performance of the machine.
- Cyclone battery: Maintains power for an entire season.
- Advanced hydrostatic cruise control system: Easily set the desired speed.
- Micro-cut four-blade system: Ensures finer cuts with each revolution.
- 2.5-bushel capacity grass bag: More grass bag capacity.
- Four in one Versamow system: Ensures versatility of mulching, bagging, discharging, and shredding while mowing.
- Superior mulching performance: Ensures efficiency and makes mowing more convenient.
- Roto stop system: Ensures safety, now no need to turn off and restart the engine if you want to move out items or take a break for other reasons.
Overall, even though the machine belongs to the category of a higher price range, it is reliable and proves to be professional and provides effortless service. It is one of the most comfortable to use mowers considering how well-designed it is and all the advanced features it comes with.
5. Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
- Self- Propelled Drive System
- Durable 21'' Steel Deck
This MO60L510 self-propelled cordless lawn mower comes from the reputed company of Greenworks. The deck size is 20 inches and deck material steel. It comes with a Smart-cut Technology and 60V voltage that ensures the efficient working of the mower. Besides, you get a tool warranty of 4 years and a battery warranty of 2 years.
- 5Ah battery: Ensures 60 minutes of runtime when fully charged.
- Brushless motor with button start: This ensures high-efficiency operation and provides more power easily and longer life.
- Single lever height adjustment: Now, adjust the height easily from the single lever and choose from seven available grass cutting options.
- 3-in-1 discharge design: Allows you to mulch, rear bag or side discharge grass clippings easily.
- Includes bagger: Ensures tidiness as it allows you to collect grass clippings as you mow.
- Stores vertically: This model takes up less storage space.
- Quiet operation: Forget worrying about the sound mowers make as this machine makes little to low noise while operating.
Overall, it’s a great and effective self-propelled lawn mower. Not as expensive as others in the market, this model is a total value for money. It is recommended to use this for small yards on flat or slightly elevated terrain as it works the best there. Change of batteries might be required.
6. Lawn-Boy 17734 21-Inch 3-in-1 Discharge Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- Electric start is the easiest way to start your mower; just turn the key and mow
- 2-Point Height-of-Cut System allows you to quickly adjust cutting heights from one side of the mower
This model comes from the reputed company of Lawn-Boy which has been in the turf maintenance industry since 1934. It has easy to use features and ensures efficient and easy mowing. It is budget-friendly and has an easy electric start with Kohler engine.
- Kohler XTX OHV Engine: Ensures tough performance, user-friendly maintenance and does not require an oil change
- Electric Start: Makes starting the machine easier and faster.
- 21″ all steel deck: Ensures durability and easy mowing.
- Lawn-Boy Engineered Tri-Cut System: Ensures superior quality of grass cutting and mulching.
- Two-Point Height of Cut: customize the deck height easily at 2 points for mowing.
- Larger Bag Capacity: Allows you to empty the bag faster and less often as it can hold more clippings
- 3-in-1 Discharge Ability: Choose from 3 available options of cutting, mulching or side discharge
It is an effective and low-cost lawn mower that does the work easily. Other strong, well designed and more durable options are available in the market. This machine is a smart choice if you want to go for something basic that does the work and saves a few bucks!
7. EGO Power+ LM2001 7.5Ah Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower
- Advanced Arc-Lithium 7.5Ah 56V Battery and Rapid Charger - Up to 90 minutes cut time
- True 3-In-1 Function: Superior mulching, rear bagging and side discharge performance
So far the best in the range, the Ego Power + bridges the performance gap between the gas-powered and battery-powered machines. It is a powerful mower with a powerful engine that makes mowing effortless and easy. Having additional features over the other available in the market, this one is a good mower to consider, especially for small yards.
- IPX 4 rated: This machine is water-resistant and can withstand 5 minutes of splashing water.
- 5 height adjustments: Easily set the desired cutting deck height from 1.5″ to 4″
- 21″ deck Ensures easy and effective mowing as it comes in a standard size deck.
- 3 in 1: Now mulch, bag or side discharge easily with this 3 in 1 cutting technology.
- 56V 7.5Ah “ARC Lithium” battery: Ensures 1 hour of easy operation even on rough patches, the battery indicator will tell you how much battery is left.
- LED lights: You can now mow in the evenings easily with the inbuilt LED lights that guide you for mowing in the dark.
- Speed variation: The speed of the mower can be set anywhere between 1.8MPH to 3.6MPH by just sliding the cruise control lever.
The Ego Power + provides excellent performance and is the most advanced rechargeable lawn mower in today’s market. It is environment-friendly and very convenient. Other features that make this one stand out are the water resistance, 9″ high wheels and easy storage. Go for this mower if you’re looking for something advanced and effective.
8. Craftsman M105 140cc 21-Inch Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower with Bagger
- Your purchase includes One Craftsman M105 140cc Gas powered Push Lawn Mower, One bagger and engine oil
- Lawn Mower width – 21” | Weight – 65 lbs. | Minimum Cutting Height – 1.25” | Maximum Cutting Height – 3.75” | Front wheel size – 7”...
The Craftsman 3 in 1 gas-powered lawn mower comes with a powerful engine and amazing features. It offers the usual 3 in 1 capability and push start option. This machine ensures powerful and effective mowing and an option to choose from various adjustable cutting heights. It also comes with an attached bagger that collects all the grass clippings.
- 140 CC OHV gas-powered engine: Just pull to start as this powerful engine comes with auto choke and auto recoil system.
- 3 in 1 feature: Now side discharge, rear discharge or mulch as per your convenience.
- 21 inches cutting deck: This allows you to efficiently trim the grass in one go.
- Dual-lever: Choose from 6 different adjustable cutting height for a customized mowing experience.
- 7×8 inches wheels: Zag treaded wheels ensure durability.
Overall, it is a powerful mower that effectively does the work on almost any terrain. It works for longer hours with required short breaks without any problem and cools down easily. It is slightly heavier than other available options but the best in its price range. It is not battery operated and requires gas.
9. Yard Machines 159cc 21-Inch Self-Propelled Front-Wheel Drive Gas Lawn Mower
- 159CC GAS ENGINE: Durable and powerful gas engine with front wheel drive and single speed transmission for a quicker mowing job. Ideal for...
- 2-IN-1 FEATURES: Side discharge and mulching capabilities to accommodate whatever your lawn needs!
The Yard Machines self-propelled lawn mower is the best one available for mowing small to medium yards. It comes with a powerful autogas engine and other impressive features which ensure superior mowing experience. Total value for cost, this mower is effective, easy to use and durable.
- 159 cc gas engine: Ensures a powerful mowing experience
- 2 in 1 feature: Perform mulching along with side discharge
- Battery life: It comes with a battery life that makes the machine last for a long run time
- 21 inches cutting deck: Ensures easy and effective mowing with a height adjustment of a cutting range from 1.25 – 3.75 inches
- 8×8 inches wheel: Helps in smooth gliding through the lawn while mowing
- Large gas tank: More capacity, you don’t have to refill the tank every time
This machine is a great choice if you’re looking for something easy to use and effective. Considering its pros and cons, this mower comes with good battery life and if maintained properly can prove to be durable. If you have a large yard, this might not be the best option. This model does not come with a clippings bag.
10. WORX WG779 40V 14″ Lawn Mower
- Dual 20V power share batteries deliver 40V of maximum power and performance
- Patented intellicut technology delivers power on demand save your battery for when you really need it
WORX is one of the best brands when it comes to lawn mowers. This model comes with Intelli-cut and mulching which ensures precise and effective cutting. It is a battery-operated lightweight machine that weighs just 35.3 pounds, much lesser than the other available options. Compact and durable, it also comes with many impressive features for its price range.
- Single-lever adjustment: Quickly and easily adjust the height to get precise cutting
- 2 in 1 feature: Allows you to mulch or bag
- 40 volts: Great for smaller yards, the 40 volts power ensure easy and efficient mowing
- Terrain: Even though it is a compact model, it works great on any terrain
- 13″ 20V Max Lithium-Ion battery: Comes with two 4.0Ah batteries that have indicators, you can also conserve battery when desired
- 2 modes: Choose from two available modes — eco mode and turbo mode for more power
For smaller yards, this is the best available option as it comes with easy to assemble and no oil/gas feature. It works well on any terrain and has a short battery life, effective for smaller yards. The mower comes with two large capacity (4.0Ah/72Wh) 20v batteries and a dual charging station.
Self-propelled lawn mower buying Guide
Comparing the available options and deciding which mower suits the best as per your requirements can be a tough task especially because these types of equipment are expensive. We hope you find the above information useful!
Things to keep in mind while buying a self-propelled lawn mower
The five tips to help select your best self propelled lawn mower according to us are :
- Compare features
- Check price range
- Select size, weight
- Look for reviews
- List pros and cons
Safety tips to keep in mind while using a self-propelled lawn mower
A self-propelled lawn mower is a powerful and strong machine. It operates on an electric motor. Thus, it is important to keep in mind some safety tips while using it. Some of the safety measures are listed below :
- Clear the field: Try to pick up small stones or other obstacles on the grass before starting the mowing process. These obstacles can fly out and cause injuries or damage the blades if they get stuck in the mower.
- Dress appropriately: While using the lawn mower, wear comfortable clothes and a snug that can cover the whole body. Avoid accessories and tie your hair up as it may get stuck in something. Also, wear gloves, goggles, good footwear, and other protective apparel if you need to. Never mow barefoot.
- Blades: Self-propelled blades are sharp and cause injuries. It is necessary to take care while dealing with the blades. Switch off the engine if someone is approaching you. Remember to always keep a safe distance from the machine.
- Don’t get your hands near a working engine: Use a stick to remove the clogged grass from the engine. It is risky to use bare hands or even with gloves. Never bring your hand close to a working engine.
- Switch off while making adjustments: Switch off the lawn mower while making any adjustments. Do not leave the running mower in an unattended state.
- Install all parts correctly: Install the mower correctly. Always check for any loose bolts or nuts. The shield must be installed appropriately. Refer to an installment guide, if you need or get it fixed from a professional.
Benefits of a self-propelled lawn mower
A self-propelled lawn mower is way better than a normal push mower for various reasons like easy usability and advanced features. We have put together 5 prominent benefits below :
- User-friendly operation: Anyone can effectively use a self-propelled lawn mower as it does not need much muscle power. These mowers are battery operated or the engine requires oil/gas. You don’t have to actually push the mower and once you set the height and adjust other settings, it does the work on its own.
- Portability: Self-propelled lawn mowers are more lightweight and compact as compared to other traditional mowers. This feature makes them portable and easy to store.
- Safety: As you don’t have to push the mower physically, it is much safer than other mowers. You can easily operate a self propelled lawn mower as it comes with advanced features like auto choke, auto recoil, cub cadet, etc. which maximizes it’s efficiency and makes it easier and safer to use. Most of these models are also environment-friendly and less noisy.
- Time-Saving: These are advanced and well-designed mowers that come with sharp blades, longer running time and adjustable cutting height. This makes the operation easy and time-saving.
- Sustainability: Self-propelled lawn mowers are made up of strong material like steel or good quality plastic. Also, the engine and other parts are durable which makes these machines sustainable. If taken care of, a self-propelled lawn mower is said to last for 8-10 years.
We tried our best to include everything you will need to know to select your lawn mower. Besides, be open to options and if you do not trust online shopping, go to the equipment shop and see for yourself what model is the most comfortable for your use.
Keeping a garden well maintained can be a tough and time-consuming task. And not maintaining the beauty of your garden regularly can immediately make it look untidy and deteriorate its quality. Along with choosing a good lawn mower, also look after other important tasks you need to do to maintain a beautiful garden. Always keep your garden clean and remove any unwanted wild plants that grow. Make sure the plants you have planted are growing healthy and haven’t been infected. Use fertilizers and water your lawn often. Take these simple steps to maintain a garden that you and others will always adore!