Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower under $300
Lawn mowing is a tedious task. However, the good news is that with the right ‘machine’ you can very well take care of the hard work. While lawn mowing requires a good amount of muscle power going into the work, along with the time which is also spent on the tedious task. Here, you can use the self-propelled lawn mower which is a great way to make the task of lawn mowing quite easier. So, what is the self-propelled lawn mower all about and what makes it different from the rest? Let us find out.
The self-propelled lawn mower comprises a ‘drive system’. Much like the sound of it, the drive system of a self-propelled lawn mower works like a vehicle. Here, the user needs to apply pressure over a ‘bar’ which is also called ‘bail’. The Bail is conveniently situated on the handle of the self-propelled lawn mower and requires to be pressed when required to work. The working of the system comprises cutting blades to self-propel into a rotary motion, thus, moving forward and clipping the grass in the process. This is the reason for the term ‘self-propelled’ lawnmower.
The user needs to take the basic charge of the direction of the lawnmower and also to check out for obstacles( if any). Once the pressure is off the bail, the mower stops on its own and the blades do not spin anymore. This is more of a safety feature and is also available on the lawnmower type which is not self-propelled. This is mainly for two very specific reasons:
- In a situation, where you suffer a fall, the spinning blades can ‘climb’ over you; something that can be avoided if the mower has a drive system.
- In case there is an obstacle ahead and you need to switch off the lawnmower, all you need to do is ‘release’ the pressure from the bar and the machine will come to a stop on its own.
When speaking of the drive system, one must bear in mind that, there are also the high-end models of the self-propelled lawn mower type, where the blades stop but the machine continues to run on the release of the bar. This is also known as the ‘blade override system’ and is one of the most convenient features to have, mainly for two important reasons:
- If and when required, the lawnmower can be transported from one point to another without having to clip the grass on the way.
- The user is free from the task of restarting the lawnmower all over again ad again every time there is an obstacle or a break to be taken.
These are the main reasons for the popularity of the self-propelled lawnmower. Now, that we know how it works, let us take a look at the best self-propelled lawn mower under $ 300:
10 Best Lawn Mower Under $500 Review
1. Greenworks cordless self-propelled lawn mower MO40L02
- Self- Propelled Drive System
- Product dimensions – 65.35” L x 21.65” W x 33.07” H | Product weight – 21.65 lbs. | Height adjustments – 1 3/8” - 3 ¾”
- Durable 21" steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily. Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
- Self-propelled drive system with variable speed rear wheel drive lets you easily maneuver and tackle any terrain | 3-In-1 design allows you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge your grass clippings
- Dual battery port design enables one battery to be stored while the other fuels the mower, saving you a trip to the garage | 7 position single lever height adjustment for quick and easy adjustments
This is a powerful self-propelled lawnmower with high efficiency. Being the brushless type, this lawnmower is easy to use and offers great results. The product also features an extra compartment that works as a battery carrier for added time.
- Features 3 in 1 technology that included mulching, bagging and discharge
- Side discharge operation included
- Height adjusting feature
- The ‘push start’ feature offers easy to start for the users
- This lawnmower is durably made from steel deck of 21 inches
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]The product is cordless
Features dual battery storage
The operation is 3 in 1 type
The height adjustment features included
Smooth operation through ‘Push start’
Vertical storage possible[/i2pros][i2cons]This lawn mower is on the heavier side
IS slightly bulkier in comparison to other models[/i2cons][/i2pc]
2. Lawn Boy 17732 Self propelled lawn mower
- Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on hilly terrain
- 2-Point Height-of-Cut System allows you to quickly adjust cutting heights from one side of the mower. Height of Cut- 6 Position 1.25 – 3.75 inches. Cutting Width- 21 inch
- 3 year Tru-Start Commitment - starts with 1 or 2 pulls or Lawn-Boy will fix it for free
- Kohler 149cc/ 6.5 ft.-lbs. Gross Torque/ OHV Engine
- CARB Compliant for the state of California
At $ 29.99, this is a CARB compliant rear-wheel-drive self-propelled lawnmower for small to medium-sized lawns. The best part about this machine is the fact that it can be used on uphill terrain. With a well-built steel body, the lawn mower is sure to offer the user many seasons of great service and a good-looking lawn throughout.
- Weighs about 66lbs
- Two-speed options offered
- 149 cc Gross torque/OHV Kohler engine
- True start commitment included
- The cutting deck width is 21 inches
- Adjustable height featured
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Silent operation
Can work on uphill terrain
Two-speed options to choose from
The blade system is of the superior type[/i2pros][i2cons]Can take some amount of practice before the user gets used to the two-speed option featured
The engine is not exactly as powerful as the other models in comparison.[/i2cons][/i2pc]
This is quite a good choice for a lawn mower in the self-propelled category as it can be used over the up-hill terrain as well. Though the engine is not one of the best types, it still manages to do a decent job of mowing the lawn without any hassles. A good buy, if you can work around the fact that this is a gas-powered machine and the two-speed option can get a little confusing for some.
3. Snapper HD 48V MAX Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Up to 60-minute run time on under light loads with the Briggs & Stratton 48V MAX 5.0 Lithium-ion Battery. Battery and charger sold separately
- 20-Inch Steel mowing deck with 3-in-1 design to mulch, bag, or side-discharge grass clippings with ease
- Intelligent load-sensing technology allows for optimum power levels while you mow for maximum efficiency
- Single lever, 7 position height-of-cut adjustment for ideal lawn height
- Vertical storage capability to easily store and save space in your garage or shed
This is a cool and versatile machine with a 3 in 1 technology designed for high performance. The 3 in 1 technology basically comprises side discharge feature, rear bag collection and mulching. This lawn mower also has the height adjustment feature that allows the user to adjust the height of the handle as required. The mower also has easy folding and storage features. This lawn mower is also durable and easy to maintain. The height can be adjusted ranging from 1- 1/8 inches to 4 inches. The maneuvering is smooth and the design is compact making it perfect for large areas.
- High power performance with a strong engine.
- Comprises of the three-in-one cutting capability along with side discharge, rear bag challenge along with mulching.
- Includes six adjustable heights
- Features twin microblade system.
- The wheels are 8 inches large along with the rear ball bearing.
- Includes Flywheel system for extra security.
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]The machine is versatile
This lawn mower can be adjusted according to the height desired.
Twin blade included
Has the Flywheel system as well?
3 – in-1 system
This is a cordless electric mower, thus the movement is not restricted[/i2pros][i2cons]It is slightly heavy.
The lawn mower is slightly expensive.[/i2cons][/i2pc]
4. Troy -Bilt high wheel self-propelled lawn mower
- Powered by a 159cc front wheel drive OHV engine
- This self-propelled lawn mower is perfect for mowing Small to medium sized yards
- Offers a very lightweight design with a 21-inch Steel deck
- Dual-lever Height adjustment for user comfort and side mulch capability
- Designed with 8x8-inch wheels that offer control while mowing
This is a lawn mower of the self-propelled type and is powered by the OHV engine with a front-wheel-drive of 159cc. The appliance is great for small to medium yards and is also lightweight, making it easier for the user to control. The side-mulching along with the dual-level adjustment makes it a favorable feature for the user.
- Features the front-wheel-drive
- The lawn mower is self-propelled type
- The wheels are durable with 8*8 inches smart design.
- Operates on 3 in 1 technology
- Includes OHV engines along with 150 CC front-wheel drive.
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Two years limited warranty included
Height adjustable feature included
8*8 inches wheels
3 in 1 mulching technology[/i2pros][i2cons]The mowing action has been reported to be ‘weak’ in certain cases
The design is bulky.[/i2cons][/i2pc]
5. EGO Power+ 20-inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower
- Advanced Arc-Lithium 7.5Ah 56V Battery and Rapid Charger - Up to 90 minutes cut time
- True 3-In-1 Function: Superior mulching, rear bagging and side discharge performance
- 20" Cut Capacity: Cut more grass in less time
- 600W, High-Torque, Magnetic Motor: Designed for gas like power at 3300RPM
- Folds quickly and easily for compact, upright storage
This is a four-wheel-drive lawn mower of the self-propelled type. This machine is gas-powered and is of a solid built. The four-wheel-drive makes this a great for the uphill terrain. With the height adjusting feature and the powerful engine, the overall function of the mower is quite impressive and efficient.
- 190 cc four-stroke Honda GCV engine
- This is a four-wheeled drive
- Operated through the trigger mechanism at the handle
- Also features speed controls
- 8-inch-tall front wheel and 11-inch-tall rear wheel
- The mower features a steel cutting deck of 22 inches
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]This is of the self-propelled type
Also featured are the speed controls
Height adjustment features
Easy maneuver capabilities[/i2pros][i2cons]Understanding the speed controls can be a problem for some users
Tough to work on wet grass or rough patch[/i2cons][/i2pc]
A good machine with a four-stroke engine offering powerful performance. This is good for a long-term partnership as the overall built and designs are meant to stand the test of time. However, you might want to check out the instructions for better control at the speeds.
6. Ryobi battery operated self-propelled lawn mower
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Being battery operated, this is a perfect lawn mower for small to medium yards. The best part is that this self-propelled lawn mower can also be used uphill as the rear-wheel-drive ensures that the action is maintained on a linear line as you work. Load sensing technology makes this machine an added asset as you need not worry about over-filling and subsequent choking.
- The quality of the material used is good.
- This is a battery-operated machine.
- The rear-wheel feature provides better traction.
- It also features load sensing technology.
- The bagging and mulching action included.
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]The product is durable
Is of cordless operation
The rear-wheel-drive makes the function efficient
The bagging and mulching action included
Height adjustment feature included[/i2pros][i2cons]The battery needs to be charged well and kept in check for efficient task
The mower can be considered slightly expensive[/i2cons][/i2pc]
This is a great buy if you require a hassle-free operation without the restrictions when mowing your lawn. The added durability and the rear wheel included makes it all the more of an efficient machine. However, the user might need to maintain a sufficiently charged battery in order to maintain an uninterrupted task.
7. Greenworks Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower 25322
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 40v push lawn mower provides the power you need with up to 45 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 4.0Ah battery. The battery completely charges in 120 minutes.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, EASY TO USE – A lightweight 16” cutting deck allows for easy maneuvering through small to medium yards (up to ½ acre) more efficiently. Easy push button start and lighter weight make it a great choice for your lawn.
- VERSATILE – Battery powered lawn mower has a single lever 5-position height adjustment with a cutting height range from 1-1/4" to 3-3/8" for the best cut in all environments. The 2-in-1 feature offers versatile use with mulching and rear bagging options.
- MAINTENANCE FREE – This walk behind lawn mower is virtually maintenance free, with no gas, no oil and no emissions. It starts instantly and is quiet but delivers gas-like power for your toughest projects.
- INCLUDES – Battery operated lawn mower comes with mower, grass collection bag, 40V 4.0Ah battery, charger and operators manual. It offers a 3 year tool and 3 year battery warranty.
This is a great model from the self-propelled mower type from a reputed brand. The engine included in this mower offers a smooth start and the rear wheel offers good control when you are out there mowing your lawn. The user will have to use the gas power to get the machine started. The overall operation is silent and it has 5 different height adjustments that makes it easier to trim and cut efficiently. There is a feature of safety key that should be properly inserted in the lawn mower which helps the mower to start.
- The battery power is higher and can run longer
- The larger rear-wheels makes it easier to operate and control
- With a catcher bag, this lawn mower also has 2 in 1 cutting capabilities
- Height adjustments of five variations offered
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Various height adjustments offered as per conveniences
This lawn mower is of self-propelled type
The engine is of great quality
A safety key feature is offered[/i2pros][i2cons]Cutting deck is 16-inch which is very little in size.[/i2cons][/i2pc]
A great lawn mower if you wish to have a machine that does not cause much problem starting up. The height adjustment is an added advantage if you need to work with varying heights. As this machine is battery-powered with a start button, it can help in safety concerns. Basically, a good buy if you wish to invest in a quality product that will serve you long term
8. BLACK+DECKER Lawn Mower CM 1640
- Height Adjust- 6 settings, with a height of cut between 1-1/10" and 3-1/10"
- Includes (2) 40V Max Lithium Batteries
- Folding handles for easy & convenient storage
- 9.5 gallon grass box designed with a soft fabric with hard top. Included Components: (2) LBXR2040 batteries, (1) LCS36 charger; Power Source: Battery
This cordless lawn mower comprises the six height adjustments which allows smooth cutting. This feature is especially favorable for being able to easily maneuver the lawn mower well. The mower also has a 9.5 gallons grass box made of a very soft fabric. This helps the user in lifting the bottom easily that allows them to have a check over the grass volume it can hold up during the cuttings. The machine also features the handles with foam grip, thus improving the overall efficiency of the task.
- Included with two 40V batteries to give an operational time of 30 minutes
- The lawn mower has a soft fabric made 9.5 gallons grass box
- Has a 6 Deck height adjustment
- Safety key feature to be inserted for starting it to ensure children’s safety
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]The machine is quite durable in comparison
Battery level indicator
2 batteries induced
Height adjustment feature included[/i2pros][i2cons]Lesser run out time of battery
Deck is made of plastic[/i2cons][/i2pc]
This is a great lawn mower for the small to medium lawn types. As much of the functions are well-covered by the features included within the machine, it is quite a good buy for a great looking lawn with minimum efforts by the user.
9. Sun Joe Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower iON16LM
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords
- Powerful brushless motor increases battery efficiency, maximizes motor performance, decreases noise and vibration and extends motor life
- Compact design ideal for small to mid-sized lawns. Cutting options - Bag and discharge chute
- 6-position height adjustment lever tailors grass cutting height from 1.18 to 3.15 Inch
- ETL approved; Energy Star certified.Deck Material:ABS Plastic
This is a great lawn mower of the self-propelled type and features a cordless operation. The best part about this appliance is the fact that it can be started with a simple push of a single button known as safety key. Also included is the volume indicator that allows the user to know about how much storage is left. The lawn mower has the approval of ETL and energy star technology with a 2 years warranty over mower.
- Features 40V Lithium battery with a 600 W motor (brushless)
- ETL & energy star approved
- Features a bag of 6.25 gallon to collect the cutted grass
- It has a volume indicator mechanism
- It can perform a noiseless operation
- 6 Height adjusting options available
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]The operation is of the silent type
The charge indicator is an added asset
2 years warranty
Reliable product as it is approved by ELT & energy start[/i2pros][i2cons]No side discharge
This is a great lawn mower of the self-propelled type if you wish to get your hands on a product that is not gas operated or noisy.
If you are one of those users who garden at nights, the LED lights featured in the mower is a great asset. Overall, a great product if you can ignore the fact that the mower is made of plastic and can be broken up by someone if they accidently stand on it.
10. Husqvarna Lawn Mower LC121FH
- Front-wheel drive saves user effort
- 3-in-1 mulch, collection or side discharge options
- 21-Inch cutting width. Cutting height adjustment: Four-point, cutting height, maximum (approximate): 3. 44 inch, cutting height, minimum (approximate): 1. 25 inch
- High rear wheels boost control and maneuverability
- Soft grip handle makes mowing comfortable
This is an all-cool self-propelled lawn mower type with the 3-in-1 capability and a 149-cc engine. The 21-inch steel deck makes it easy to cut grass in small to medium areas like the lawn, patio or the garden. Also inclusive in the model is the dual storage capability as the upper part of handles can be easily collapsed while the lower part can be slid over.
- A perfect machine for lawn, patio and small garden
- 3 in 1 mulching, discharging and bagging capabilities are available
- The 21 inches deck designed for extra durability
- Also features the efficient ‘high steering capability’ thus making it a good choice for people of hilly areas
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Includes the 4 in 1 versamow system
Has a 3 in 1 mulching capability
21-inch deck for durability
Good for hilly areas
Features 139 cc engine
Features dual storage option[/i2pros][i2cons]Few complaints over missing parts can be noticed.[/i2cons][/i2pc]
This is a great one-time investment on a machine which offers 3 in 1 technology and a 149-cc engine. The fact that the machine is gas-powered needs to be worked with, however, the end result is pretty satisfactory for a small to medium area.
The Buying Guide
Factors to consider when buying a self-propelled lawn mower
Before you decide on buying a self-propelled lawn mower, you might want to go through a few factors:
The lawn size
This is perhaps the foremost deciding factor before you decide on the type of mower you want. It is important for the user to understand their lawn size and the features of the terrain in order to be able to pick a machine that will best complement it.
As mentioned earlier, the feature of the lawn or the terrain of the lawn goes a long way in helping you make the best decision. Does your lawn have too many obstacles? Are there up hills in your lawn? How does the grass grow in your yard? These are a few self-check features that you must watch out for before you decide on the perfect mower.
The mode of power supply for any self-propelled lawn mower is an important feature to be taken into account. You must understand that most mowers are either powered by gas or electricity. So, if your lawn area requires you to invest long hours doing the task, the gas-powered is a safe bet, as it can be a real downer to run out of charge in the middle of the task. However, the gas-powered mowers are slightly more complicated than the battery-operated ones. The electric mowers are easier to maintain and are also silent, thus offering you a sound-free operation.
The deck size
This is in reference to the width of the blade of the lawn mower. This usually falls between 20 inches to 70 inches and the preferred deck size is 30 inches to 60 inches. In order to get a better cut, the size of the deck goes a long way. Wider the deck more grass gets cut in the process.
Buying the best lawn mower might not be just the end of the game, but also understanding the various attachments and their requirements also affect the overall results. There are various attachments which help to enhance the overall performance of the lawn mower. These usually include dump carts, lawn aerator, rakes, fertilizer spreaders, and lawn rollers.
The user must understand just how much work can be self-managed and what are the tasks that need a little bit of assistance. While buying the perfect mower is a great idea, one must be able to invest a bit more for that perfect finish to get a good-looking lawn throughout the year.
How to fix a self-propelled lawn mower cable?
The driver cable of a lawnmower is the one which connects the handle drive along with the control lever and helps in the transmission. This is a very important and crucial part of the machine. The engine must be checked out when it is warmed. One must wear gloves because the engine is hot. You can remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug if required.
You have to pivot the cable clip and release the cable control from the drive control cable clip. The cable wires need to be fixed and to be fixed very carefully.
The fuel tank cap is to be removed and the manufacturer’s instructions about removing the cable post from the anchor section must be gone through with. The new driver cable must be installed carefully in the mower handle and the spark plug wire can be reconnected as well.
How to adjust the speed on a self-propelled mower
The characteristics of speed in a lawnmower are mostly dependent on the type of model you have purchased. One must know what type of model it is and the proper knowledge must be possessed about the type of product they own. The proper knowledge and the instruction manual is sure to help those who need to adjust the speed of the self-propelled mower.
The option of variable speed must be presented in front of you before you decide to change or adjust the speed of the lawnmower. The instruction manuals should be studied very carefully to see if the facility for speed changes is available or not. Speed change can be done by adjusting the lever on one side of the lawnmower.
It is not usually suggested that you should not change the speed which is set by default.
A self-propelled lawn mower is a perfect gardening partner if you have an issue with your back or wish to avoid an issue in the future. The self-propelled lawn mowers with several added features make it all the easier to perform the task so that you end up with a great looking lawn. These usually are either run by gas or are totally cordless types.
The user needs to be able to judge between making a choice between a gas-operated or the task of charging the batteries every time. What so ever, as the appliance comes with the 3 in 1 technology, a lot of hard work is taken care of for you.
When choosing a battery-operated cordless mower type, understand that the replacement battery can be a bit expensive. It is also a great idea to watch out for a few other features like the power of the engine, the height adjustment features, and the weather-resistant body.
A well-built machine from a reliable brand can serve you many seasons to come, so be sure to invest in the quality. Also, bear in mind various other factors like the ‘noise-producing’ feature, easy start and the easy to store abilities of the machine.