Today, there is a wide range of chainsaw sharpeners available in the market that includes categories such as electric, manual, bench-mounted and portable chain sharpeners. To make it easier for you, we have researched and shortlisted the best manual chainsaw sharpeners for you in this blog. You can refer to their features, pros, and cons to select the best sharpener for your purpose.
Best Manual Chainsaw Sharpener Review
1. Oregon Manual Chainsaw Sharpener
- Bench or wall mounted professional grinder: Perfect for pro users. Ideal for frequent, high volume chain sharpening
- Save time and money: Sharpen your own chainsaw chains. Grinder easily mounts to a bench or wall with two included bolts - ideal for a workshop or garage
- Universal sharpener: Sharpens up to .404” pitch chain. Sharpen almost any saw chain from manufacturers such as Oregon, Stihl, Husqvarna, and others
- Accurate Sharpening: Multiple adjustment points for sharpening accuracy and built in light for better visibility.
- Includes: Grinder, a dressing brick and profile guide, operator instructions plus two grinding wheels (3.2mm and 4.7mm) and a 6.0mm flat profile disc for depth gauge maintenance
To top the list is Oregon’s manual chainsaw sharpener that works best for chains that should always remain sharp for use. This model from Oregon is one of the best manual chainsaw sharpeners and is the ‘Top Choice’ in Amazon. It is compatible with a wide range of chainsaws, ranging from ¼ to .404 chainsaw sizes. It also works with low-profile chainsaw. As it is a manual grinder, you can use it as much or as little to rehabilitate the chain, giving you complete control to carry out the job perfectly.
It consists of a self-centering chain, which helps you save a lot of time for set up as you need not spend any extra time setting the chain at the right place. It has a built-in light to help you grind the chain anywhere. The only drawback of this manual chainsaw sharpener is that it has a poor user manual. It suits users who have some experience of sharpening and grinding chainsaw. If you want to sharpen your chains without much difficulty and hassle, this can be your best pick.
- Built-in light
- Compatible with a wide range of chainsaw sizes
- Self-centering feature
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Manual grinder
Suits for chainsaws of ¼ to 0.404 chain sizes
Highly compatible[/i2pros][i2cons]Poor user manual[/i2cons][/i2pc]
2. Timberline Manual Chainsaw Sharpener
- Fast Sharpens Each Tooth in Seconds
- Precise Every Tooth Sharpened to the same Length and Angle
- Durable High quality Machined Aluminum
- Portable Take Everywhere and Sharpen Anytime
- Easy Anyone can Sharpen a Chainsaw with Professional Results
The next on the list is Timberline Manual Chainsaw Sharpener, which is perfect for sharpening the chain between cuts. The one from Oregon mentioned above is a little bulky to carry into the field, which the Timberline manual chainsaw sharpener is capable of. It is a lightweight chainsaw sharpener, weighing only 2 pounds and is very small in size. So, you can easily carry it with you when into the field cutting through woods. You can sharpen the chain without taking it off from the blade, thus saving you a good amount of time. It requires less time for each tooth and you get good speed with this sharpener model from Timberline.
One of the most amazing features of this chainsaw sharpener is that you can sharpen evenly from one tooth to another. It minimizes any chances of pulls or kicks that can be a result of uneven sharpening. But, its set up can be tricky and deceptive for some users. So, be careful when setting it up or you might end up messing up the chainsaw blades. The manual chainsaw sharpener has got a steeper learning curve than other models listed in this blog. As you get good results most of the time, it stands at the second position on our list of best manual chainsaw sharpeners. It helps you sharpen your blades effectively and quickly without longer downtime.
- Even sharpening from one tooth to another
- Quicker and effective
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Can be carried into the field
Sharpens each blade evenly
Weighs only 2lbs[/i2pros][i2cons]Steeper learning curve
Difficult to setup[/i2cons][/i2pc]
3. STIHL File Chainsaw Grinder
The STIHL 2 in 1 Easy File Chainsaw Sharpener is a perfect chainsaw tool for beginners. In case you are searching for a tool to sharpen your chainsaw chains for the very first time, this one from STIHL will be of great use for you. It sharpens with its in-built depth gauge that not only saves a lot of time for you but also sharpens the entire chain in one go. It is well-built and stays in good shape for years and even last for a decade.
The best part about this STIHL 2 in 1 chainsaw sharpener is that it is highly affordable. It will just cost you a fraction of what you would invest for the other models enlisted in the blog. It is one of the best manual chainsaw sharpeners for its value. You must remember that this chainsaw is limited to just one chainsaw chain size for sharpening. So, if you wish to sharpen multiple chain sizes, you must invest for multiple files. However, you can still save money as compared to investing in the other models.
- 2 in 1 easy file chainsaw sharpener
- In-built depth gauge
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Highly durable
Perfect for beginners
Highly affordable[/i2pros][i2cons]Works for single chain size[/i2cons][/i2pc]
4. Pferd Cs-X Chainsaw Sharpener File
- Improved file position
- Optimized shape for more precise guiding
- Simpler handling due to improved shape of device
- Depth gauge distance: 0. 025 inches
The next on the list is Pferd Cs-X Chain Sharp Filing Guide, which is much similar to the STIHL chainsaw file. It is easy-to-use and is apparently a good choice for people who are learning the art of sharpening their chainsaw blades. According to reviews, you can sharpen an entire chain in just 15 minutes, which proves its speed and the amount of time you can save using this chainsaw sharpener. It has the capability to sharpen both the depth gauge and cutters simultaneously. So, you need to go for two different rounds for the job.
However, there are some drawbacks associated with this chainsaw sharpener as compared to the other models on the list. It features some incorrect angles, so you might end up is-sharpening the blade assuming it to be at the right angle. It struggles with the skip chains and as a result, you might not feel satisfied with it in case you are using it mostly with those. However, it remains to be an affordable option for users who are looking for a budget-friendly manual chainsaw sharpener.
- Easy-to-use manual chainsaw sharpener
- High speed sharpening
- Sharpens both depth gauge and cutters
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Sharpens an entire chain in 15 minutes
Sharpens both depth gauge and cutters simultaneously
Easy to set up and use[/i2pros][i2cons]Not perfect with skip chains
Incorrect angle markers[/i2cons][/i2pc]
5. KATZCO 8 Piece Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit
- CONVENIENCE - Katzco complete chainsaw file kit contains every field tool you could possibly need to get your chainsaw back into its optimal condition. The roll-up tool pouch keeps everything you need in one location and allows for great portability so you can bring it wherever and whenever needed
- VARIETY - This kit comes with a range of different files to meet any of your chainsaw sharpening needs. The premium fine tooth flat and round files is made for Fast filing and cutting. The round files come in the sizes of: 5/32”, 3/16”, and 7/32”. The hardwood handle can attach to any of the files and the depth-gauge tool as well and can be used on any chainsaw.
- QUALITY – These fine-tooth chainsaw files with the stained and finished wood handle allows for comfortable grip when using and will keep the chain sharp to allow for faster, safer work so you can get the most out of your chainsaw.
- GETS THE JOB DONE – AFFORDABLE other chainsaw sharpening kits don’t include as many accessories or are made of cheap material and result in poorer performance. However, these tools will never fail you and will get the job done for you each and every time. Not only is the Katzco chainsaw sharpening kit convenient and affordable, but it does the same job as more expensive kits if not better.
- SET OF 8 IN ONE PACK - Set Includes as Following - (1) 3/8” Hardwood stain & finish handle - (1) 6” Flat fine tooth file - (1) Filing guide - (1) Tool Pouch – (1) Depth-gauge tool - and three(3) round fine tooth files in the following sizes: 5/32”, 3/16”, and 7/32”
This basic manual kit is a complete package for anything you will ever require for filing your chainsaw blades. It comes with a durable, convenient roll-up pouch containing 8 different tools. These 8 tools include three round files of different sizes, a flat file, a file holder to control the angle and depth of the file, a hardwood handle that makes the job more comfortable and lastly, a depth gauge filing guide in order to measure the depth of the gauge. If you are looking forward to buying a compact kit that fits properly in your chainsaw tool bag, this is a portable manual chainsaw sharpener kit to buy.
- Manual chainsaw sharpening file kit
- Multiple file sizes – 3/16, 5/32 and 7/32
[i2pc show_title=”true” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Comes with a quality tool package
Secure tool hold[/i2pros][i2cons]Requires experience of filing
Attachments quality may differ from the quality of the files[/i2cons][/i2pc]
Buying guide for the best manual chainsaw sharpener
Before purchasing the best manual chainsaw sharpener, you must make sure of the following factors to ensure you invest into the right tool for your chainsaw. Keep reading.
The form factor
One of the parameters that differentiates chainsaw sharpener models from one another is the form factor. You will come across different chainsaw sharpeners in different sizes and shapes. Of the various forms, the most popular is the handheld form of chainsaw sharpeners. It is a file that you can use manually to grind and sharpen the chain.
The chain pitch
Another factor to consider while buying a manual chainsaw sharpener is its chain pitch. You must make sure if the model you choose is capable of sharpening the chain successfully. If you are not aware, different chainsaws come in different sizes of chains. The size is represented as the pitch of 0.404 inches or 0.325 inches.
So, you need to buy a chainsaw sharpener that is compatible with the pitch of your chainsaw model. It will ensure that you are able to sharpen and grind the chains of your chainsaw efficiently. If you don’t check for the pitch, you might end up picking up the wrong tool for your chainsaw.
Like any other equipment or tools, a chainsaw sharpener also comes with few accessories. These accessories cna help you sharpen the chain blades more effectively. Some of the common items included as accessories in a manual chainsaw sharpener kit are files, clamps, grinding wheels, carrying cases and other items. You might not realize it now, but these accessories can come in use while sharpening your chain blades.
Its warranty and durability
Like you know, using a chainsaw for a longer period of time can wear its chain. In the same way, using a manual chainsaw sharpener for a long time can lead to wearing off the sharpening kit over time. So, it is essential to check for its durability and warranty before making the purchase. The best way to do this is to choose a reliable and durable model of manual chainsaw sharpener and buy one that comes with a warranty period.
Not all chainsaw sharpener come with a warranty card, but there are some that offer a 1-year warranty period. Such models can even last for a longer time than expected!
In a Nutshell
Consider these important factors like chain pitch, form factor, durability, warranty and accessories while selecting the best manual chainsaw sharpener. Shop now from these best models of manual chainsaw sharpeners on this list.